About This Award
Agriculture significantly contributes to the growth of the Fijian economy through livelihood generation, export earnings, and food security.
ELIGIBILITY AND JUDGING CRITERIA:
To apply for any of the awards in this category, your business should be excelling in its sector and be able to demonstrate it meets the eligibility criteria.
Judging criteria includes evidence that demonstrates acceptable banking habits, savings trend, efficient bookkeeping attributes, as well as marketing and customer service attributes reflected in the business plan.
An excelling business is one that can demonstrate innovative traits or business methods by showing evidence of a unique approach, product or service resulting in a strategic advantage in the marketplace.
The business must also demonstrate leadership traits or business methods by showing evidence of strong financial performance and business growth.
This should be within the competitive marketplace in which it operates as well as awareness towards the community and the environment.
Types of agricultural SMEs that can apply for this award include those whose:
- operations that involve farming either sugarcane, horticulture, grains, poultry, dairy, root crops, vegetables, fruits, fishing, beef farming, livestock or copra farming.
- operations (jointly or singularly) comprise more than 60% of livestock agriculture activities.
- operations (jointly or singularly) comprise more than 60% of aquaculture activities.
- operations include intercrop farming (any two or more of crops).
- operations have a combination of livestock and aquaculture, which when considered jointly; comprise more than 60% of intercrops of the farm’s production.
- operations incorporate best practice in agriculture or employ advanced agriculture techniques.
- operations involve planting climate resilient crops such as yams, sweet yams; hybrid taro, swamp taro, cassava and uro ni vonu.